Monday 30 May 2016

Trade Show: Meet The Manufacturer

Lulu asked her design assistant, Lowik, and I to go to the trade show to meet manufacturers on Wednesday 25 May on Brick Lane. Our task was to talk to as many manufacturers as possible. To explain to them about her brand, particularly, how she was currently rebranding herself to become a Couture designer. Our task was to form relationships with certain manufacturers who could help Lulu when she becomes a Couture designer.

Lowik's english is not strong and he found it difficult to communicate with the manufacturers, and asked me to talk to the them on behalf of Lulu Liu. At first, I was hesitant and not confident as I have never been in the position to talk to people in industry in a professional environment. However, after speaking to the first few manufacturers, I quickly gained confidence and enjoyed finding out about what all the different company's did. Specifically, I asked what the company's did, their USP, what their price range was, where they are based, whether they can manufacture one off pieces or only mass produce. Furthermore, I told the manufacturers about Lulu's Company to see if there is anyway they could help us, and exchanged business cards with. The range of different kinds of manufacturers was much larger than I expected; knitwear, one off pieces, only mass production, only leather pieces, digital print, company's that could help with a range of services such as pattern cutting, designing etc as well as manufacturing, specifically weather-proof pieces or pieces that are to do with physically demanding jobs such as; firemen, policemen etc and manufacturers that deal with unusual pattern cutting. All the company's were so interesting to learn about and I asked on behalf of myself as well because there were some company's that offered help to students with pattern cutting and manufacturing for a discounted price which might be useful for my third year collection.

The found the whole experience very valuable, I gained confidence with talking to people in industry and collected many contacts that may be useful to Lulu and I in the future.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment